Saturday, March 27, 2010

Happy Birthday, Owen!

Our boy is officially one year old!  I can't believe it - these last twelve months have gone by so quickly, and it seems like just last week that I was in the hospital in labor!



It is amazing to look back on the last year and see how much Owen has changed.  It seems as though he learns something new everyday (and I'm sure he does, even if we don't notice it).  I'm sure that there are so many new things that I can't possibly remember them all.  Here's a try, though:





For starters, Owen is just a hair over 30 inches tall.  I'm not sure of his weight, but I don't think he has gained much so he is probably still around 22 pounds.



He has been pointing and babbling at things like crazy.  It's interesting to see what catches his attention, and then to name it for him.  He can now pick out birds- whether in nature or in a book- and makes the sign for "bird".  He does this without prompting- we often see him making the sign before even we notice a bird!  Crazy!



He is learning the motions to the Hokey Pokey.  We didn't set out for this to happen, I just started singing it as a diversion for diaper and outfit changes (which are becoming increasingly frustrating).  He started shaking his hands and clapping at the right times.  This is just one example of him imitating us - he catches on so quickly!





Everything is a "phone" for Owen.  He will put things up to his ear and start saying "Oh-uh?" It is so cute.



He is way more interactive with toys.  He likes to "put-and-take" meaning he puts things in drawers, containers, etc., and then removes things from them as well.  Like I said, he imitates anything we do, as well.



He can build a two-item tower (the average developmental milestone for a child his age).



I've rearranged some things in the kitchen so there are places he can play- like in the tupperware cabinet.



Oops!  Oh well, good thing I steam mop the floors :)  He's really ramping up is solids intake.  He basically has a fruit/grain for breakfast, veggies/protein/grain for lunch, and then eats whatever we are eating for dinner (with a few exceptions.)  He also has an afternoon snack on most days.  He is still breastfeeding, but we have given a few sips of both organic whole milk and organic soy milk on occasion to make sure there are no reactions.  I'm committed to continuing to nurse until he wants to wean (and he has cut out a few feedings, both on his own and with my encouragement).  Organic milk (soy or cow) is pretty pricey, so I'd rather take advantage of free milk as long as possible - not to mention it's the healthiest choice for him.  So that's that.



His sleeping schedule was getting so good at night, but then he started cutting 4 teeth at once (no joke) and it's been awful!  He is in pain, and I am well aware of this, but he wants so much comfort at night.  The last one is just about to emerge so I'm looking forward to a little reprieve.





He's just plain cute.  But that is nothing new.



He makes all SORTS of funny sounds now.  He really cracks himself up!



He says Mama, Dada, Hi, and Bye.  Not too often, but consistently in the right context.



He is starting to hold on for balance less and less.  No first steps yet, but I am okay with that!  He is definitely testing his balance, and even stands up in the middle of a room by himself.



He can recognize some animals (bunny, monkey) and will sometimes point to them when prompted.



He gives hugs and kisses!  He's been kissing for months, but now he is intentionally coming over to us and giving hugs.  It's the best!  We are trying to be sensitive to him testing his boundaries-  he will often be very content playing by himself or crawling off to investigate something, then cries out or crawls back over to us for reassurance.  I know this is just a phase, and he is learning autonomy and independence but still needs to know that we are there for him.  So, we try to stay close when he wants us there, and let him roam free when he wants his space.



He can tell you how old he is by putting up one finger when prompted.









In general, he is just the cutest little guy :)  I love this age (I have said that at each age and stage) and am so thankful for a happy, healthy little man.  I love how interactive, loving, and fun he is.  I'm sure I'll continue to think that each stage is my favorite... I was just telling Kraig the other night that people have got it all wrong when they think a newborn is where it's at.  Seriously, new babies just lay around and eat, cry, and poop!  I'd rather watch Owen explore, laugh, and crawl around any day.  We're having a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment